The establishment of the Institute of Education by the University of Nigeria at the time was ignited and propelled by the aim to “relate its activities to the social and economic needs of the people of Nigeria. Also to improve on teachers’ quantitative and qualitative deficiencies of in the Nation’s primary and secondary schools through effective training and re-training of teachers in content, pedagogy and innovative techniques help to enhance their professional development for continuous upliftment of teachers more courses were developed at the post graduate Diploma: Citizenship Education, Gender studies, Care-giver Education and Women Education (Health Entrepreneurship and Leadership courses) Global partnership Education with DIFD.
BRIEF PROFILE OF CHIEF HON. DR. KAY CHINONYELUM ONYECHI
Hon.Dr. Kay Chinonyelum Nwamaka Onyechi, a professional counsellor with special interest in family and marriage was a two time Honourable Commissioner for Education in Anambra State, in fact the longest and best served Commissioner for Education in Anambra State, 2006 -2012.
Dr. Kay hails from Abatete in Idemili North L.G.A., Anambra Central Political Zone of Anambra State. Currently she is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Educational Foundations, University of Nigeria Nsukka. She holds a Ph.D. M.Ed and B.Ed all in Guidance and Counselling from the University of Nigeria Nsukka. She also holds NCE in Religious Studies/Igbo Language and Culture from the then Anambra State College of Education now Nwafor Orizu College of Education Nsugbe Anambra State. Dr. Kay is a seasoned Academic and has used her wealth of experience and knowledge to transform and reposition Education to greatest height during her tenure as the Commissioner for Education. During her tenure, the Education Sector won first position in every form of assessment both nationally and internationally.
Also, as part of her contribution and advancement in knowledge she has published over seventy journal articles in both national and highly reputable international and impact factor journals. She has great passion for women development and has contributed immensely to the capacity building of women in Nigeria and across the globe through seminars, conferences and workshops and one-on-one counselling. Dr. Kay is a member of over five professional bodies such as Counselling Association of Nigeria (CASSON), Nigerian Council of Educational Psychologists (NCEP), Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN), etc. Dr. Kay has been honoured with several awards by various organizations and institutions such as:
- Best commissioner for Education in Nigeria in 2009 (National Quality Award) by the quality management institute Lagos.
- Best Commissioner for Education in South East in 2008 by the presidency Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Chieftaincy title by the Igwe and Council and entire Aguluzigo Development Union as Chief Ada eji eje mba.
- Award of Excellence for outstanding contributions to the Welfare & Well being of Nigerian students and youths by Nigerian Associate of National Students (NANS).
- Award as Diocesan Royal Mother by the Anglican Diocese of Nsukka.
- National Merit Award for Selfless Service and Distinguished Contribution to Education Development in Nigeria.
- National Parents Teachers Association of Nigeria (NAPTAN)
- Good Ambassador Award by University of Nigeria Nsukka
- Life Membership Award for outstanding contributions to the growth development of the Senior Staff club by the University of Nigeria Nsukka Senior Staff Club
- UNN 1st Staff Award as Top Ten Most Influential Female Lecturer of the University of Nigeria by University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- Award of Excellence as the Most Outstanding and Visionary Lecturer by Faculty of Education Students Association, University of Nigeria Nsukka.
She also is a devout Christian and child of God; she belongs to several Christian organizations such as Evangelical Fellowship in Anglican Communion, Scripture Union, Mothers Union and Women’s Guild in Anglican Communion Worldwide. As Nneora and local evangelist she has touched lives of many especially women and the down trodden. She has encouraged them through entrepreneurship education, and literacy education to help them cope with hard times. Dr. Kay is a lover of charity work, reading the Word of God, teaching, sports and music. She is happily married to a man of God Venerable Chijioke Onyechi and the marriage is blessed with wonderful children and many glorious grandchildren all to the glory of God Almighty.